IMPORTANT! Optimized for Firefox and Google Chrome. You may not be visualizing the entire blog if you are using Internet Explorer.
Feel free to send your ideas to my email: mariazabalapena@gmail.com / englishforeso@yahoo.es. To use the lesson plans in my blog, you do NOT need photocopies for students. You MAY need to print instructions or to use a projector and/or a computer.

For ESL VOCATIONAL TRAINING LESSON PLANS go to my other blog HERE
Browse LABELS to the right, underneath to find prompts and tasks.New!! VIDEO BLOGS on English for Communications and on English for Office Applications (Computers). See links below.

* English for Communications. Click HERE. By Beatriz Papaseit Fernández and myself, María Zabala Peña

* English for Office Applications (Computers :Word 2007 and more). Click HERE. By Beatriz Papaseit Fernández and myself, María Zabala Peña

Thursday, March 12, 2015

Modal verbs practice: must, should, could...

Summary: Students create a situation  they will discuss with their classmates.  The teacher provides a model  so that students know  how to proceed.
Procedure:

PART 1: The teacher creates a situation and asks the students to advise him/her on how to proceed (see example below).
Students need to use the modal verbs they have studied in class to suggest solutions or comment on the situation.   The teacher may write  the verbs students need to use on the board (must, can, could, should, have to, to be allowed, would...).  
Students are also encouraged to ask questions to clarify the situation the is teacher  is presenting. 

PART 2: Once students have understood how to proceed, teams of students create a situation and then they share it with other teams.  Students comment on the situations provided by the other teams

Materials:  No materials needed. I like to give my students some pieces of scrap paper so that they can write their scenarios on them. 

Example the teacher may provide:  
PART 1
  • Yesterday   I  was alone  at the library. I was "hiding" behind the table because I was tying my shoelace.    Our classmate, Johan,  entered the library silentlly  and he took several dictionaries with him. I am sure he was stealing. This boy is always very nice and he is always helping  me with my English  homework. 
Must I report him? 
Should I talk to him? 
  • Students discusss the case (advice, prohibition, permission...)  using the modal verbs the teacher has provided.
 PART 2
  • Groups of students create other possible scenarios. They  take turns presenting  their case to other groups and discusss the situation  according to the model in Part 1

No comments: